Image Copyright E.C. , Kropp Co.
This postcard and more for sale on Amazon.com
If you’re visiting Kentucky for any reason: Welcome! We’re glad to have you here in the great Bluegrass state. Whether you’re here to see your family for the holidays, see a horse race or watch WKU win the C-USA, we’re so glad to have you stop by.
Here are a few words that only us Kentuckians would understand:
1) Big Red: No, it’s not chewing gum or a cherry flavored soda, it’s actually the best mascot in the state, WKU’s Big Red. Created in 1979 by WKU student Ralph Carey, Big Red was created to symbolize the spirit of WKU students and alumni.
2) Basketball: The only state sanctioned religion in the Commonwealth….and that’s University of Kentucky Wildcat basketball. We eat, sleep and breathe basketball. Mr. Bob Wiggins has seen over 1650 UK basketball games in person.
3) LOO-A-VUL: Sorry to break it to you, but that’s just how you say it. It’s not LOOEYVILLE or LOUIS-VILLE. It’s LOO-A-VUL or LOO-UH-VUL.
4) Yonder: noun – that road yonder is the one to take. Yes, we say yonder. If you’re trying to find something, it’s always over yonder.
5) Ale-8: Bottled in Winchester, Kentucky, it’s a state favorite if you’re not of age to drink the bourbon. Buy a 6-pack and enjoy some today.
6) Bourbon: Known for making 95% of the world’s bourbon, Kentucky knows how to make it sweet. We use between 65% to 75% corn so our bourbon has the sweetest flavor.
7) Bluegrass: We know it’s a hard concept to grasp, but our grass really is blue. Come by on a spring day and look out into a field of our beautiful bluegrass. Then you’ll know it’s real.
8) Kentucky Fried Chicken: Known all across the globe with almost 19,000 locations, our fried chicken recipe was enough to remove gas pumps and turn the place into a restaurant. That’s what Harland Sanders did.
9) Buggy: It’s not a shopping cart, it’s a buggy.
10) Derby: The biggest party of the year is a horse race. It doesn’t stop with a 2 minute horse race. The infield at the race is one of the wildest places to be.
Read More: You know you’re from Bowling Green if…